Saturday, February 7, 2015

Cross Country Road Trip

It's been about 5 months since I posted, {SORRY!!!} so I have a lot of updating to do!  Since then {September} a lot has happened, but the most important thing: we moved across the country! This was our first PCS {permanent change of station} so I had no idea what to expect. It all happened so fast, too.

We got official word that we were moving on November 24th, and the movers came and packed up all of our belongings on January 8th. They had planned on coming to our house January 7th-9th; okay works for me.  So there we were, January 7th, up early waiting for them to arrive at 8 am only to receive a phone call at 10 am from the truck driver asking if he could come on same day as the packers{on the 8th}. We found out the packers weren't coming that day from the truck driver!!! I was livid! We made a few phone calls and he was correct, they changed the date and didn't even bother to tell us.

Anyways, January 8th came and 3 guys knocked on our door to start packing our things in boxed. Then, about an hour later 2 more guys came to pack the boxes onto the truck. 5 weird men in my house at one time, talk about stressful. Having to make sure they take everything and don't break everything. They were there and left all within 5 hours {we don't have much stuff yet} and our house was empty. We still had 5 days until we could leave North Carolina.

Last picture in North Carolina
It took us 9 days to get from North Carolina to California because we stopped to see family. On our second day of traveling, in Alabama, a rock came up and cracked my windshield. It was constantly growing so we decided to get it replaced. We stopped that night in Mississippi and Jon's dad's house and the next morning we went to go get new tires on my car {they were long overdue}. Well, we arrived at Walmart, hit a bump in the parking lot, and there went the crack in my windshield, straight across to the other side. So, we definitely needed to get it fixed right then and there.

$700 later, we were on our way to Arkansas to Jon's grandparent's house and then we spent the weekend in Missouri visiting both of our families. Once the weekend was over, our main goal was to get to California!

On Monday morning we hit the road and left Joplin. Our plan was to drive about 6 hours a day since we were both driving and we had Rocky, and to stay at La Quinta's since they allow pets for free! That first day, Rocky was really sick so we had to stop about 5 times for him.  We ended up staying the night in Clinton, Oklahoma {middle of nowhere} but at a VERY nice La Quinta.  It was so nice, we didn't want to leave the next morning.
We eventually left Tuesday morning and drove to Albuquerque, NM to stay the night there. On Wednesday, we drove to stay in Flagstaff, AZ and stopped at the Petrified Forest National Park on the way. It's not a very "popular" national park, but it was pretty cool!

Flagstaff is 7,000 in elevation and I could definitely feel it! Driving there up the mountains was crazy but the city was gorgeous in those mountains! Thursday morning we went to the Grand Canyon before we went onto California. It was VERY cold and extremely windy. We will definitely be going back when there is better weather! 

We stayed at the canyon a little longer than expected which called for a late arrival to 29 Palms, but we were in no rush! We had finally made it to the hotel, had some dinner and were knocked out for the night! The next day we started looking at houses and started our lives in Cali!


No comments:

Post a Comment